Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Healing Sounds

Today is the feast day of the Sto. Niño. A special feast day of the Child Jesus only in the Philippines. This is also one of the most festive feast day we have in our country with big celebrations in different areas of the country including Cebu where they have their yearly Sinulog Festival.

I have been to Cebu a couple of times including during their Sinulog Festival and what really strikes me each time is the "Sinulog Sound". I think the people there take the distinct sound seriously that you'll see a lot of practice going on in the streets and other busy areas the whole year. Young male adults with their drums and their trumpets and other instruments giving their strongest and best sound in harmony. Each time I hear the sounds especially of the drums, I feel them penetrating my body and their vibration are like healing energy reaching out to every cell of my being!

I keep remembering the healing sensation I have when I hear the "Sinulog" sounds when I hear the ringing in my ears --- which sounds like a hundred cicadas screaming! It has been there a long time after I started my chemo but I don't exactly know when it started. I don't get to notice this noise during the day when there are other sounds to compete with it... but during the night when everything else is silent... it is there, never stopping. I've learned to live with it... doesn't really bother me anymore. And sometimes during the night I actually concentrate on this sound thinking that like the healing effect of the drums they too are healing my body!

Visualization has always been difficult for me, but I allow the sound to slowly descend as I think of every part of my body starting from the head all the way to my feet... allowing it to linger more in my weak areas... imagining... praying that it drives away the bad cells and strengthen my good cells.

Don't know if this "noise" will ever go away but I will tap on its capacity to heal rather than allow it to irritate me!

No comments:

Post a Comment