Monday, December 26, 2011

New Christmas Tradition

Our family as in the previous years is celebrating the Noche Buena.

We had our get-together in midnight sharing simple meal and the kids opening up their gifts. We could hear our neighbor having a sing-a-long earlier in the day but they stopped near midnight. We on the other hand opened our videoke but we only played Christmas songs. No one really sang-a-long, mostly it was just background music while we ate our Noche Buena. There was something new though. Earlier I asked my nephew to put the name of everyone in pieces of paper and fold them and after our meal we drew lots and you will have to do an act of kindness or service to the person whose name you picked on Christmas day.

It was funny but one nephew, Laurence who is 10 years old was wondering earlier what could he do it he picked up the name of my mother... and true enough he picked her name and suddenly went on the floor as he exclaimed "Oh men!" and we all laughed.

Christmas day I was up early and was having breakfast when Laurence came in with a mug in his hand. I asked him what he will do and he said he will prepare coffee for mama... ah his good deed since he knew mama loves coffee! I noticed that mama had coffee earlier and so I told him to ask her first. He went to her room and came out exclaiming "Oh men!" He was not able to accomplish his mission! I told mama about it and she said that she just wanted to rest and that the kids should not be noisy, so I told him that his good deed involved reminding his cousins not to be noisy.

I actually picked Laurence also and it was hard to do a good deed for him Christmas day as we had visitors and our help had their day off so I was able to do it the next day already.

I was thinking this year it was not easy to implement this act of kindness but in time I want it to be part of my family's Christmas Tradition where we don't just pick up the name on Christmas eve but much earlier so that we have a longer time to do our act of kindness. I certainly am looking forward to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment