Sunday, December 11, 2011

Magnificat

The Responsorial Psalm for today was not from the Book of Psalms but taken from Luke 1:46-55 or Mary's Magnificat.

I have written previously how I loved the second joyful mystery - The Visitation and would ask Mama Mary to visit me and care for me as she did her cousin Elizabeth. And as I was reading the Magnificat, I reflected on Mary's life.

When the Angel Gabriel came to her to announce the birth of the savior, I was thinking that she was a bit doubtful and scared but nevertheless consented because she knew of God's promise to Israel. The Angel Gabriel also told her that her cousin Elizabeth, who was barren, was also with child and she went to visit her and care for her. It was only after Elizabeth paid her homage when the child in her womb leapt with joy upon hearing her greeting as she exclaimed "Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb!" That was Mary's assurance of God's promise, an affirmation! Any doubt that she may have during the angel's visit was gone and she was happy! It was then that she proclaimed her Magnificat!

There are also lots of times when I feel that God is asking me to do something... something beyond my comfort zone and I am afraid to move... sometimes I even stall but when I feel God's push and consent and move despite fear of what is going to happen, that's the time I feel God's affirmation and I cannot help but be grateful and thank Him for giving me the grace to heed His call.

I wish that like Mary, I will ever consent to God's call. I should realize that doubt may come and God's assurance may not come immediately but if I persevere especially in serving others as He wants me to, then I would be certain that God will comfort me and assure me and I too will proclaim my own Magnificat of God's goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment