Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Joey Velasco, the Heartist

Oftentimes I would be watching or listening to the live streaming radio broadcast of Pamilya Mo, Pamilya Ko (Your Family, My Family) at the Radio Veritas. I like listening to them not only because of their topics but also because of the broadcasters' hearty laughter that is contagious. They have different guests each day based on their topic and today, their guest was Queenie Velasco, the widow of the late Joey Velasco.

She talked about her husband - his art, his book, his passion, his projects, his dreams, his legacy; their life together including how they came to be together; their faith and beliefs; and the their children.

I did not catch his full name when I started to tune in, just his first name and his work Hapag ng Pag-asa (Table of Hope), his version of the Last Supper featuring Jesus with street children. I immediately thought "I know that!" and remembered how moved I was looking at the paintings taken from a calendar that covered part of the glass windows of the bus I was riding to work. Even if the bus was so full, I tried squeezing my way slowly so I get to see his different paintings and marveled at them. And I continue to be awed each time I get to see them as I rode the bus again.

I was listening and at the same time browsing about him. He died last year of kidney cancer complication at the age of 43. Forty Three! So young! And leaving a wife and 4 children! So who's going to take care of them? Listening to Quennie dispelled the fear of what was going to happen to them, I guess He left this world knowing that his family will be taken care of.

By the proceeds from his art collection you may ask? His art collection was great and would command a big price but they decided not the sell them -- not one of them! They are works not to be sold but to proclaim God's goodness in His life, in their lives! And through them Joey would continue to share God's goodness to others! And God, never to be outdone, will take care of his family!

I was joyfully laughing at some of the anecdotes shared by Quennie but mostly my eyes were welling up from listening to her. It was not tears of sadness but of joy of the life they shared -- even through their pain in difficulties, there was love and commitment... to each other, to their families and mostly to God!

And as I was reflecting on his life, I was thinking that 43 was just a number. Yes, he left us pretty early if you think about his age BUT he fulfilled so much in that lifetime! He has touched so many people's lives and will continue to touch more through his work, his foundation, and his family.

Then I thought of my life, I'm going to be 49 soon. How long will I be around? I really don't know! Does it matter??? Well I hope to stay around a lot longer but everything is in God's hands. I've realized that age is just a number... what matters most is life that comes with it.

I have LIFE and I'd like to live that to the best I can for myself, my family, my friends, others... and yes for my God. It doesn't matter whether I am strong or I am weak. I can do something! It doesn't matter if it is great or small... I can do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment