Saturday, November 11, 2017

Chemo 9

Due to my low magnesium level in my past chemo, the cardiologist prescribed me to take magnesium oxide and required me to have my blood tested for magnesium and potassium, one week prior to my chemo date so I did and added a CBC platelet count to also check my blood count particularly my WBC in advance.

My Magnesium and Potassium levels were normal but my WBC was really low that it would not pass for chemo. Far from it! I wanted my 9th chemo to push through on schedule since I really wanted it to be over plus I wanted to have good taste for food already by the time we celebrate my mama's birthday a little over a week after. So I felt a bit down feeling that I would need to have another injection to increase my WBC plus I will be delayed. But I prayed and asked the family to pray especially for my blood to be okay for my next extraction on Wednesday prior to my obgyn-onco checkup on Thursday. I was really happy when I got my result. Although my WBC is still below normal it would pass the ratio taught me by my doctor's secretary.

So, today I finally had my 9th Chemo with no untoward incident. Well they found a good vein for the drip only after the second attempt but that was not really big deal... and the drip was a bit slow so I wasn't able to follow the time schedule... still that did not really matter. What matter is that I had it on time. And I claim that it will already be my last chemo.

On the side, we (my niece who accompanied me and I) watched "A monster calls" on cable while in the hospital. It was based on the book of the same title. The monster there, who was actually the friend of both the mother who had terminal cancer and her son, was a YEW tree. It struck me because one of my main chemo medicine PACLITAXEL was initially from the Pacific Yew Tree. I was familiar with it because I researched it 6 years ago on my first chemo.

It was a sad movie as it was all about having mixed feelings when someone in the family is terminally sick but it was all about acceptance. Oh I am not saying I am terminally sick! I may have stage 4 cancer but I don't feel sick like the mother character there but still there is question of what is to come. Yet in the end, I come to realize that God is in control and whatever happens it will be good. So do not worry. Accept yet trust in the Lord and go on with life... living it to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment