Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Sign of Jonah

The Reading for the past 3 days has been from the Book of Jonah. It is one of the short books in the old testament and easy to read and it is also one of the books in the bible that strikes me most. Even Jesus made reference to it as he told the Jews asking for a sign that no sign will be given them except the "Sign of Jonah."
"In the same way that Jonah spent three days and nights in the belly of the monster fish, so will the Son of Man spend three days and three nights in the depths of the earth." Mt 12:40
Jonah's staying in the belly of the fish for 3 days and nights after he was thrown by the sailors to calm the sea is one of the greats stories and miracles in the Old testament. Yet Jonah is far from being an ideal prophet. He was so unlike Isaiah who immediately answered "Yes" to the Lord when called upon. He was a reluctant prophet full of pride and loves to complain, who would rather die than be proven wrong or be uncomfortable.

Sometimes I see myself as Jonah.

Oh how I could whine like Jonah over discomforts! I remember how I used to tell God a long time ago that He could take my life anytime for I was ready! Then I got sick and was in and out of the hospital for more than 3 months, having one operation after another. It was so distressful that I would cry and complain until one time I remembered how I keep telling God that I was ready to die anytime. I heard the words in my mind and I laughed! I actually laughed out loud and said what a hypocrite I was. There I was telling the Lord He could take me anytime, yet I complain from the pain and discomfort even if I was far from dying. I realized then that I look at death as the easy way out rather than bearing the cross of Christ!

I also feel like a reluctant prophet just like Jonah was! Sometimes I could feel God moving me to do something for Him but I stall or dilly dally, refusing to be out of my comfort zone or wonder if what I'm inspired to do would actually accomplish anything, afraid of failing or be laughed upon. Oh I could be stubborn but the Lord never gives up on me and arranges things so that I may do His will.

The Book of Jonah is open ended. God asked him if he had a right to be angry for feeling discomfort or for hurting his pride even if such would show God's mercy to a lot of people. The book did not say if he had a changed of heart and followed God's will and design but I certainly want it to have a happy ending.

My sickness... I didn't really asked God why or why me when I got to learn about it. Somehow I knew that He has something good in mind. Yet there are times that I lose heart also. I pray that I focus on the miracle Jonah experienced and not on his shortcomings. I pray that the miracle feels so BIG that I could no longer feel distracted by the discomforts. Just like Jonah being inside the fish for 3 days and nights, I hope that I appreciate the little miracles I have been experiencing while I am sick and I hope that such miracles move me to completely trust and believe in Him and to consent to His will!

Ahh yes and to act boldly on His inspirations!

So please dear God, give me the grace! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment